Tuesday, August 21, 2007

This is a Dope

This is a Dope.


” The propaganda, assiduously spread for many years now, is that heroin addiction is an "illness". This view serves the interests both of the addicts who wish to continue their habit while placing the blame for their behaviour elsewhere, and the bureaucracy that wishes to continue in employment, preferably for ever and at higher rates of pay.”


The dope is Dr. Theodore Dalrymple, he is the author of this article entitled Heroin addiction isn't an illness... and a book on the same subject. Other than to say his findings are based or casual observations and figures he has derived from Mao’s revolution (I’m not kidding), I will withhold my comments and let someone far more qualified than myself debunk his baseless findings.




This is your brain on dope. ------->


Let me introduce you to Dr. Nora Volkow, the director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse whose brain imaging research (see picture at right) has broke new ground in the science of addiction illness. I found a great NPR Fresh Air interview courtesy of WHYY with Dr. Volkow in which she explains her research. It’s thirty minutes long, but its both informative and entertaining. I would suggest that maybe Dr. Dalrpimple should listen, but I have a feeling he is more interested in garnering media attention to sell books than he is in discussing facts.


4 comments:

The Discovering Alcoholic said...

This is a cross post from my site- it just seemed relevant to the current content so I posted here also.

Click on the link, the interview with Dr. Volkow is well worth the time. I guess you could almost call me a Volkow groupie!

Stepbackjack said...

I became familiar with her during the HBO series on addiction. I love her. She is awesome and I follow her. The other guy is an idiot. What a moron.

Married to My Ex

Did anyone catch the Rehab documentary on HBO? It follows 5 young people through a 30 day rehab and gives an update at 6 months and 2 years. It was sad and interesting. I have HBO on Demand so I can browse through the documentaries so I don't know when it will show again. But if you can find it it is worth watching. It can be a trigger though as it is graphic.

joy said...

Damn you fools with your fancy cable! We have 1 channel right now, partly because I can't afford fancy cable, and partly because I refuse to pay for cable for Mr. Junky to sit on the couch all day and bask in glorious television yumminess.

I want to see that Addiction stuff on HBO. When I first started going to Nar-Anon, it was all everyone was talking about. Now I'm going to listen to NPR...

Wayward Son said...

I suspect it is Dr. Dalyrimple who is more interested in his employment as a writer, preferably forever and at a high rate of pay, than in a solution.

WS