Tuesday, August 21, 2007

disease?

This is bothering me for some reason i just keep hearing her voice repeat in my head "you are born with it" i dont nec. think addiction is a disease...but i think it's and illness that takes over your mind, body, and soul and theres two things that can happen.... you overcome it ...or....you die. I don't think you are born with it like i said unless your mother or father were addicts or using during a pregnancy. A drug addiction as apposed to say an eating disorder are similar in ways the difference is that drugs alter you body and mind chemically...food not so much. I guess what I'm getting at is that i think it does become an illness just like someone with an addiction to food. It makes you sick and if you don't stop putting the toxins in your body you will eventually die. I don't think you are born with a disease that will make you go out and use drugs but i do believe some people are more pron to getting addicted to things where as other wont. Maybe it can turn into some sorta disease.....idk but i do know that I'm repeating my self so i'll stop now just had to get it out once more time.

5 comments:

Mantramine said...

Any addiction alters the brain chemistry. There is a synapse that happens when we repeatedly hit the pleasure center. weather it be food, drugs, self victimization...

When we indulge a negative habit it eventually habituates in the mind. Even biting your nails is a habituated response.

Anxiety becomes a habituated response (from pesonal experience)

They all chemically alter the brain, just because of the synapse reaction/non reaction to emotional thoughts.

Addiction to drugs adds to the chemical mix up- often making your body chemically dependent

On some level, there will be a genetic make up flaw that will make some more prone to addiction.

Just like some siblings will get a inheritable disease, and others wont. It is bound to be part of addiction circle.

My sister and I grew up in the same house, all our lives, she is a fucked up alcoholic- I did the same amount of partying but couln't go all the way. I could not become an addict. I will say again though, I TRIED.

So, why was she weaker than me? Was it really a matter of weak or strong? Or was she fucked the minute she entered the party world?

Maybe she had the one gene that is like a bloody steak tied around her neck as she walks into a room of rapid pitbulls- cause it's eating her alive.

Mantramine said...

oh, and good habits habituate too

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

Something that really struck home for me was shared during a family treatment night. The speaker asked us to raise our hands if we had allergies. I raised my hand. He looked at me and said, "you weak piece of shit. I can be around pollen, and my eyes don't water and my throat doesn't get itchy and my nose doesn't run. What's wrong with you?!?"

That's really stuck with me. I happen to have seasonal allergies and I happen NOT to have drug/alcohol allergies. Neither condition or lack of condition makes me weak or strong. They just ARE.

My Name Here said...

I just found this blog, and I must say---AWESOME INCREDIBLE WONDERFUL!!!! I love it.
As far as the disease, yes I do believe it is one. I also do believe there is some form of genetics involved. I am the daughter of an alcoholic, sister of 2 alcoholics, and an addict myself. I don't think it is a coincidence at all.

Stepbackjack said...

I don't think that we (the non addicts) will ever be able to understand what an addict goes through. But as lovers or parents or friends of addicts we "get" the disease. I didn't believe it was a disease for years. If it isn't somewhat genetic then how can the alcoholism that wrecks American Indians be explained. I don't think it is genetic for everyone. I think it would take a lot for me to become an alholic. I would have to force myself. But C can have one drink and he is gone.

Married to My Ex