Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Losing another person

It seems that not only are the seasons changing, but everyone around me is also. My best friend, for lack of a better word right now, is just acting like someone I do not even know. We have always been so connected, and now, I have no idea who she is. She has a new love, they are engaged, they are a wonderful couple. He has the most beautiful 2yr old little girl. My best friend referred to her as her daughter once, and I was very taken back by that. Her and her man have only been together for 2 1/2 months, and as a mother, I find her referring to this beauty as hers a bit offensive. Parenthood is not something you just throw on, like a jacket for the day. It is huge, like HUGE. Now, this has nothing to do with love, bc I know my friend, and I know the love she has for this child. I am just a bit shocked really, that her father would allow this. I find it so disrespectful to her mother. Now, that being said, I do not think that after time, like a year or so, she could not refer to her as hers. She has said to me, in the most smart ass tone ever, "I didn't know there was a book" well, now we all know there is no book, just common sense. At least that is my feeling. I also told her that this really has nothing to do with me, and as long as they are all ok with this, that is really all that matters. Now, everything is different. She is extremely angry at me, and I do not understand it at all. All I said to her was I was a bit shocked, after only 2 1/2 months, to hear that was a definite shocker.
I can not get my hands around this one. Her man and I did not hit it off so to speak. BUT, it got to be a huge problem, so I picked up the phone, spoke to him, telling him that we need to find a middle ground here, because her not being in my life is simply not an option for me. Although now, it appears that is just what she wants. I was speaking to my sister about this earlier, and she said that her opinion is my friend simply has to have conflict in her life, and honestly in my sisters opinion, she can not handle more than one person in her life at a time. So, now I am left feeling as if I was just someone to pass the time until she found her love. I am not upset over her finding her love, I am very happy for her. I know the pain she felt with out him, and now she is happy. I want her happy. I have always wanted her happiness, which is why I called him in the first place. He put her in the middle of us, a place she has no business being. I still feel deep down that he does not like me, or Joe, and really wants us to not be friends. That being said, I guess he won that one. She is being so mean, so distant, and just flat out a bitch to me. I am really at the end of my rope with all of this. I am very stressed these days, waiting for word on my hubby's release, the kids, work, all of it. Not that she would know, since she is never around anymore. I do miss her, yet, this new her, I just do not like at all. She has changed who she is, everything is just so different. I expected distance with the new man, but God, not for her to lose who she is. I guess it was bound to happen this way, she always feared when Joe gets home. But, I can have both of them in my life, even if she can't. Like I said, I can't help but think, with the short history there is with her man, her and me, that this is all him. He wants me out of her life, and he is getting what he wants. I don't think she even realizes it. It hurts, honestly it hurts bad. I thought of her as family, closer than my sisters actually. Guess I was wrong.
I am used to losing people. I lost many when I got clean, when Joe went to prison. This time, I am just so hurt. This girl was the one person who I truly let in, she knew all of my addiction, everything about me, and never judged me. Now, a fucking man is going to be the end of us. I can't help but feel anger. I feel like, I should not have told her a thing about my past, my addiction, any of it. What a total let down, really on myself for believing anyone could be that trustworthy. I feel like a fucking fool. I really do. I feel used.
Thanks for listening, I really needed to just get that out.

2 comments:

erinsav said...

A situation like this is difficult. It's one of those times in life where you do what you can and then have to just let it go. Much easier said than done.

It looks like you have reached out to your friend's new boyfriend and that you have also told your friend how the situation is making you feel. Other than that, there is not an awful lot you can do.

Sometimes we do need to "accept the things we cannot change". Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I HATE it when women chose men over their friendships -- it just doesn't make any fricking sense but it happens all the time.
Sound like you have done your best, N. I wouldn't give up yet, but it sounds like you have done your best so far.
Love you, girl,
Scout