Monday, November 12, 2007

Censoring - There Is A First Time For Everything

Although The Write Thought is an open forum, we need to be respectful of all members. I was recently contacted by a few members regarding something that was posted earlier today.

I read the post in question and while it was beautifully written, very descriptive and well put...it didn't really have the qualities that would make it a beneficial post on The Write Thought.

Although I am not a big fan of censoring, I do think that if an entry is posted with no other reason than to explain how to go about getting high...it doesn't fit in with what The Write Thought is about.

Please feel free to voice your opinion on this subject. I am open to suggestions on how to handle this type of thing in the future. For now, I got a few complaints and I felt that the best thing to do was to remove the post.

Thanks
Erin

7 comments:

Mantramine said...

I think what you did is fair. No one likes to be censored, but in this case I do stand behind your decision.

"For the good of the company" (an old mantra from my days with a theatre group...) is what it is all about.

erinsav said...

Thanks for voicing your opinion, I appreciate that.

Like I said in the post, although the post was not beneficial to this site, it was a beautiful piece of writing and for anyone interested it can be viewed on Sick Girl's personal blog.

Anonymous said...

I disagree. Everything has a place here. My suggestion was to leave the post but add a warning to readers of the graphic and extremely hard core nature of the post. We can't remove posts because we don't like the content. What if this was someones way to ask for help, or worse, what if it was a plead for help. I actually thing that was on of the most heart wrenching, well written piece in a while, and it's a shame it was removed. It just might have breathed some life into our dying blog.

I wrote these words, they are on the blog for all to read:

"Stick to your personal experience, and no subject is too taboo or off limits. Please be fearless in your posting. Every question is important, and all shared experiences are priceless. Everything has a place in this blog:"

erinsav said...

thank you for the advice EJ, I will definitely keep it in mind next time there is any type of issue.

I guess this moderator job takes a little getting used to.

I appreciate the comment.

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing a wonderful job! The site looks beautiful, and I was just throwing in my 2cents!

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Name Here said...

Erin, I think you are doing a great job at moderating this site. It is a hard thing to do, what should be here and what shouldnt. I get that we are all to be open and honest, yet we have to be respectful of the fact that most of us are addicts, and we avoid triggers at all cost. She did write that piece beautifully, it was just a trigger for some, and I am one of those. After reading her post, I was covered in goosebumps, honestly craving to get high. It was very hard for me, and I would hate for anyone else to feel that way. Again, it was written with such passion, such feeling, and I think that you did what was best for the site, for all of us. Thank you