Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Annus Mirabilis

I'm a stubborn boy. I do not yield easily. Every time I had a negative consequence because of my addiction I quickly pushed it aside in favor of a new strategy that would enable me to keep using. I was "not able to bring into mind with sufficient force the humiliation and suffering" of my present moment. I had prayed for a long time that somehow I'd be able to manage it; somehow be able to be an addict and still have a life. When I realized that such a thing was not possible, I prayed in earnest for God to let my life end. I have found that most people in recovery had a similar, profound pain.

People say to be careful what we pray for. I don't know what they are talking about. I prayed that God would end my life and He did. Just not the way I hoped for. You see, I had hoped that I would simply not wake up one morning, or perhaps I'd get hit by a bus. I hoped that it wouldn't be to painful. I would have done the job myself but I didn't have the courage.

Prayers are heard and prayers are answered. I prayed for my life to end and it ended. Today I have a different life. By using some simple tools taught to me in the loving fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, and by the grace of an all merciful and loving Creator, I have gone to bed at night and gotten up in the morning, sober, for one year today.

The age of miracles is, indeed, upon us.

13 comments:

Patricia Marie said...

The thing is you did have the courage to end your life, you did it by getting sober a year ago. You are an inspiration and a lesson in courage, faith and hope.

erinsav said...

Congratulations on your year. You have about 10 more sober days than I.

I was also completely hopeless this time last year and wanted my life to end. Saying that really makes me cringe, as it must you, but it's the truth right?

Didn't the year go by a lot quicker then you ever thought sober time would pass? Excellent work making it through.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Beautiful. I'm so glad that the end of your life brought you here.

Anonymous said...

Your post today went straight to my heart. God bless you. Congradulations on 365 consecutive 24 hours!

Jenl said...

What a beautiful way of looking at how our old life ended and our new ones begun.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your anniversary!

jen- www.12stepscloser.com

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore you!

Athena said...

Woot! Excellent post - Congratulations and Thank You

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

wow..first time here..just stopped in for a quick read..geesh..you gave me goosebumps!Nicely shared:)

therapydoc said...

We're so glad you're still here.

Gledwood said...

Talking about Annus Mirabilises... Did you hear about her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's "annus horribilis" 1992... her kids got divorced and her "favourite home" (among 4) burned (partly) to the ground... "Anus horribilis" (often deliberately misspelt) became top Brit catphrase of the next coupla years....

Gledwood said...

duh!

typical me I 4GET TO SAY

that was a really good post I like that

praying for your life to end and then getting a new life and not just dying

is that what you were thinking of when you made that prayer..??

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

Happy Belated birthday. I've been thinking about prayer, particularly paradoxes of prayer lately, as I'm working the7th step. I'll be posting soon.

Mantramine said...

My, my... you are a lovely writer. Happy (belated) birthday