Sunday, September 9, 2007

Reduction Redux

Image Credit: www.bbc.co.uk

At an AA meeting recently a speaker sharing his story mentioned harm reduction and how, well, that didn't really work for him. He spoke of how he would drink until he couldn't drink any more and then, as his own form of harm reduction, he would use speed. When he couldn't use speed any more he would turn to pot. After a while when that wasn't working he would return to alcohol. His point was that it was alcohol that brought him to his knees and gave him his bottom. No one could argue that point because it was, after all, his story. But one of the discussion comments after his share was someone who stated how she appreciated him speaking of harm reduction and how for her such a model for recovery was useless. She wished someone would tell the city and other funding and recovery organizations that harm reduction was a joke... a waste of time and money. There are many times I have wanted to speak at these meetings but none more than this time. But I have made it my goal right now to just go to meetings and listen. I am there to feel good and, for now, am not looking to risk that feeling by getting up on my soap box with an opposing view. So I will do it here instead.

I understand people's frustration with the concept of harm reduction. It IS a concept that in reality doesn't fully work. On the face of it it seems that there is a permission given to use or drink in a manageable way which totally goes against the grain of a twelve step program where the basis for recovery lies in how this issue of drinking and drugging has made life unmanageable. This does seem "wrong." I have never tried harm reduction myself. Instead I chose to use about a hundred times more than I needed to just to be certain that using and me was not a combination that was going to be helpful or enjoyable in any way. But in my recovery I have witnessed many, many people who have come to the same decision I have to not use ever again by employing the harm reduction model. People I know have used this model of recovery to come to the understanding through their own experience that using isn't going to work for them no matter how hard they try and manage their use. In many cases they did not have to lose their life completely to come to this understanding. They could retain their jobs and though relationships sufferred some where not completely severed. For some this was because of the harm reduction experience. They also came to the decision to seek a better life on their own. Indisputably, if telling people that using drugs were bad for them would make them quit, life for so many would be a whole lot easier. I think everyone whose life has been touched by addiction knows that simply is not enough. So there is great value in having a path to take that will reduce the harm along the way.

Even though harm reduction is akin to being suckered into a vacation get-away only to be corralled into a sales meeting to induce one to spend money on a time share, it is a way to get the addicted on the road to a complete recovery. It does reduce not only the harm they do to themselves but also the harm done to people's families, loved ones and community. It is easier to loosen one's commitment to using or drinking if the carrot of managing their addiction is dangled in front of them. Hopefully with a little clarity that might come of this scam, people can see there is a way and that way is better. It cannot hurt more than it already does to offer up yet one more way of getting better—perhaps one that does not sting as much.

I look forward to the day when one of my amends might be, "Sorry I tricked you into getting clean."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this method of harm reduction. I do remembering reading in the Big Book where it said something along the lines that if you do not think you are an alcoholic/addict then continue to drink/use, or continue to attempt to manage your use. The idea being that this will lead to the conviction of absolute certainty that the next drink/drug will lead to undesirable consequences, thus allowing complete surrender into taking the first step.

Great post, I love new information. And that finally people are writing on the weekends!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I love this perspective. Thanks for sharing. I do know people who have come to the realization that they need to quit by attempting to manage their use or switch between drugs. When they see they can't, they end up in AA or similar.

Anonymous said...

Interesting take on the harm reduction model he has.
What I really want to know is -- what in the hell were they doing talking about this in an AA meeting? It's an outside issue and doesn't belong there.
Nice post, as always.

Love,
Scout

Wayward Son said...

There is a huge LGBT AA population in San Francisco, as you might imagine. And if one is a gay man and in recovery, one has drugs as part of their story. In fact, I have not heard a share at an AA meeting here, gay or straight or whatever, that did not have drugs as an element. It does seem odd now that you mention it.

Anonymous said...

Scout - you mean why they are talking about harm reduction in AA, not why they are talking about drug addiction in AA?

Wayward Son said...

I missed your point. Ho did that happen? LOL Harm reduction is a topic of discussion in AA often. But only in the context of how it does not work.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I meant the harm reduction model, not the drugs, being an outside issue.
Has anyone else noticed how much more open AA is these days to drugs? I hear more people introducing themselves as "andas" and more talk of chemicals that I ever thought imaginable in AA. Does it seem that way to you guys, too?
Love you, my bros,
Scout

joy said...

Harm reduction scares the bejesus out of me. I can't read your post. I'm sorry. I want everyone to whisper when they talk about it. My husband can never hear of this shit and start putting nasty spoons around my house. SHHHH!