Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Life, funny quirks, and spirituality...

Kind of a trip to be writing a post on this particular laptop. JW, you'll appreciate this the most; it's the laptop that I was trying to fix to send to you. You know, the one I couldn't fix after a week of trying, only to give up and send you my laptop instead. Well I was thinking today that it would be nice to have a laptop, for many reasons, but mainly for writing when and where I want. So I pulled out the one computer that thought they had me beat, the one that brought me to my knees. You see, I have never been beaten by a computer before, and this particular failure, being for a friend in all, well lets just say I didn't take it lightly. So I took that sucker out, laid it down on the work bench and said, "look here computer, me and you got some talkin to do." He laid there in silence, trying not to let the fear creep into the corners of his monitor. But I could smell it; no not the smell of burnt circuit boards, or a bad power supply, no, it was fear I smelled. And the taste, oh that taste, like the sweet taste of a desert rain; the taste of victory. Soon after, I was shoving System Restore disc, after system restore disc into it's greedy little mouth. Behold, the mighty healer laid his hands upon it's keyboard, gave it a computer name, and then...gave it LIFE! IT"S ALIVE! Restored unto it's factory image. And upon the download of 61 Critical or Serious Microsoft patches and updates, it lives to post another day. (lol)

But Seriously, it's moments like this that I am grateful to have the laptop. I am reading Joseph Campbell, I imagine some of you are familiar, others maybe not, I highly recommend reading anything this amazing man wrote. On the first page of the book I am currently reading is a quote by Mr. Campbell, the words so deeply resonate within me, they hold such a deep and fundamental truth for me, that I absolutely have to write about them. These words speak to the core essence of my spirituality and we all know that recovery is completely a spiritual process. So I wanted to share this quote with the rest of you. Some may be deeply moved, as I am, some may not understand, others will listen and perhaps see things differently. Either way, I thought it would make for fantastic feedback, stories, sharing experience on a deep level and spiritual level.

"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I say don't think that's what we're really seeking. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive."

This is something that I will write about. About it's importance to me, about how important I believe it to be to my recovery, and how it is generally a life statement, something I think that at the core level of every human being, we are all searching for the same thing, albeit we are all searching for it in different ways, in different methods; some through religion, some through a higher power of their choosing, some with a personal relationship with god as they understand him or her, some who live in balance with the universe, the list goes on and on. The point I am tying to make is that if you are on a spiritual path, a spiritual journey, or participating in a spiritual recovery, or even if you are not, this statement has to strike a chord within you, on some level and I would love to hear how.

3 comments:

joy said...

Yay! I'm glad that old computer has reemerged, in a horrifying, zombie state! Yay!

Now, just put it in a box and send it to me, and watch me make it disappear!

I love Joseph Campbell, and I love the sentiment in that passage. When I'm feeling all hokey and Joseph Campbell-y, the T.S. Eliot lines get me every time...the journey is what matters and all that:

We shall never cease from exploration
And the end of our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of some things and thoughts I went through when I was around 9 months clean, ej. I'll have to look back on that stuff and get back to you.
I'm supposed to be getting ready for the NA world convention cause we're leaving but I'm blogging instead.
I'll miss you guys.

Love,
Scout

lash505 said...

very cool post..