Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Nickel And Diming Of My Perspective or Change is Cheap.

This is my everyday view. It's right outside the bedroom where I am staying. I do not own this view but as long as I am here this is what I get to see each and every day. It is an extraordinary view. The picture does not do it justice.

No matter. I take it for granted for it is what I have seen every day (and night) for almost a year. It was there yesterday and I know it will be there tomorrow. Rarely am I wowed by it despite it being such a beautiful vista to have any time I like.

This got me to thinking (Uh-oh).

San Francisco is an unbelievably beautiful city with many, many beautiful vistas. Despite knowing that, I rarely avail myself of such scenery. I remain mostly in this one place with this one view that, as I have stated, I take for granted. What if I changed my perspective every now and then? What if I looked at the same city from a different place? What would I see?

Below are just a few of the sights I would see if I would just consider a different point-of-view. There IS a message here and that is how a change of perspective will change what we see. And we need not look at the same thing all the time from only one perspective and in only one way. If perception is reality then are we not able to change our individual perceptions and, thusly, our reality? Makes you think, huh?



Something I ask myself more and more these days—Who knew?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this topic; changing the glasses of perspective through which we view the world. And I agree, dead on, we create our own reality. Your's is simply beautiful. I love the city, I miss the city, I hear it call to me now and then.

I think a real trick is learning to view the world through others perspective. To see things as they see them in an attempt to gain a better understanding of how the feel or what they think.

Ultimately I view here, TWT, as being an opportunity to daily view the world through many different perspectives, which is a gift, because I find often times my perspective sucks and I really need a paradigm switch.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

joy said...

Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

JW took my words --
Brilliant.
Thanks for helping me stay clean today.
Love,
Scout

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I have been thinking about perspectives lately too. Thanks for the beautiful post.

And you also have me thinking about real views of SF, rather than just the metaphorical ones. For a change of perspective, I always like the views from Alcatraz, since one is almost always looking at it instead. Or at least that's my understanding from pictures. I'm pretty sure MPJ lives in Idaho or something and has never been to SF. ;)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful veiw.

msb said...

Love SF Thanks for the memories.