Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Clean to dirty in the blink of an eye (THE REASON RELAPSES SUCK ASS!)

This is a post that should probably be on my personal blog; I am not sure the reason for posting it here. Well, other than Scout's request for fresh material. So what the hell, maybe it will do some other hurting soul some good.

I almost relapsed to night. No wait, relapse is to pretty of a word, it's too much a recovery word, and not being one in recovery, and what I did or almost did tonight being pretty fucking ugly, let's just call it what it was; I almost slammed some dope tonight. Yup, no I am not talking about smoking some weed, or taking a drink. I am not even talking about doing some lightweight opiate like a few Vicodins. No, I went straight to the connection's house to score some dope in order to "fix" a gram straight to my head.

I was sitting in Costco, eating a polish dog and drinking a coke. I had had a particularly bad day, well as far as bad days go for me, and I have more than my fair share, today was a fucking shitty day, which fell on the heels of a shitty week, and is standing before a pretty bleak and shitty near future. Now I preach about staying in the moment as often as possible, and well, maybe this is the exact reason one should do so as often as possible. See already earlier in the day I had considered using, after all it was just the night before I had be asked if perhaps I was using again. Being a few days shy of 90's sober, meaning without heroin, but with the use of methadone. I took offense, I mean how dare she question my sobriety, I'm fucking 90 days clean, WTF, and to top it off, I am in the exact same spot every time she had ever asked and I had lied. Meaning not once had she ever asked if I was using when I wasn't using, except last night. I was pissed off. I was indigent, but fuck, even if I was using, it's not like it's her fucking business anyway, I am outta here in two fucking weeks, what's it to her anyway. Those were my exact thoughts the night before.

So I sat in Costco, like I said, eating my polish dog, and I think to myself, who has dope? See, I had already made the leap from; well if I am getting blamed, I might as well do it. to; I hurt so fucking bad, and muscle memory of how all of that washes away in the matter of seconds. to: I just got pissed test at the clinic, so I am good for at least 3 weeks. to: I am on methadone, meaning I can use just tonight, be back on my dose tomorrow, no worries of an extended "relapse" (was I used that word, at that time). to: I am on methadone, so I better get a full gram, because a half gram might not be enough and I want to get good and loaded. to: calling the one person I know who still uses. This happened all in a nano second, all on a subconscious level, but nevertheless, it sent the conscious Ej. into direct action. That is the only way I can explain the process of a relapse for this junkie. The only way I can tell you what happened, was because I never went through with it.

Turns out this person happens to be hold, he has 3 grams, but they are $60 per. Fuck, I don't really want to spend $60. But make no mistake, if I can't get it for less, $60 it is. I say I am on my way over, and head over. But I had already made another leap, one I forgot in the first set of leaps, and that one was: I will stop at the main connects house and see what's going, what kind of deal he'll give me. Side Note: This is the very same connection who for the last 8 months of my last run, I had worked for. I had free dope and an extra $2K a month in my pocket, all for making 3 or 4 deliveries a week. But near the end, someone got busted, and I am a smart man, I knew that by this particular individuals arrest, meant trouble for the organization I was involved in. I cut my losses, and bailed. Gave up the $2k a month and the free dope, went back to paying wholesale prices until I got back on MMT.

As it turns out this was a very wise decision. As I learn at the connections house, they came for him about a month ago, and they subsequently raided everyone who worked for him at the same time. These were all the people I had worked with just months prior. This could have been me. This was me. As he told me the story, all I could think was, thank god I got the fuck out. They didnt get the connection, he was smart, he used people, they were the one's who got busted. While I listed to his story all I could think is thank god I am not in this life anymore. He lost his kids, of course he would get them back, he could afford those high priced attorneys. But fuck, that could have been me that went down with the 6 or 7 others. That was me. I didn't even bother to ask about the dope, I knew he wouldn't have any, and by that time, I had lost all interest.

I was walking to the car, thinking about how blessed I was. How I had almost made a huge mistake, how had I not left the world when I did, I would have had made an even bigger mistake. I thought about how good it felt not to NEED to get loaded like so many times before. I thought about how good it felt not to wake up every morning with that same need. How good it felt that I wasn't lying to my family about using. About how proud I was that I could look at my daughters and not feel shame over being loaded, or worse, waiting for them to go away so I could sneak off to get a hit. I thought about all my beautiful, wonderful friends, that would be crushed if I had done it. I felt such relief of not having to eventually admit it and not have had let anyone down. How those things meant something to me for the first time in my life. I had never cared about how what I had done or was going to do would affect anyone. No addict does, we are selfish and self centered people who are self involved. I was happy. I thought about all these things not in a nano second, but I thought about each one, as if time had stopped. I went over each and every detail, I felt the feelings, I relived the moments, I played them over and over and over again. Then as I got to my car, I got a text message. It was from D, it was a picture of my daughters. I just smiled. It was a message from God, he was smiling upon me. He was basking me in his light. He was showing me the exact reasons I made the decision I did, that I had made the right decision, and that I had answered to a high calling. It was beautiful, it was magical and ultimately divine.

Until the next day, which is all gloriously posted in the comments section and you can all read about my true insanity there.

14 comments:

~e~ said...

awesome post! Congratulations on your continued road to drug-free happiness.

Addicted to no one said...

i must say i would have been dissapointed if you did use but wow to see you writing about this and NOT using is awsome i wish i could hug you! as i always say everything happens for a reason and if he hadnt talked about the past you may have used. You said junkies dont think about who will be dissapointed or hurt or upset or any of that and you did.. you thought about it so that to me means your not that junkie u used to be. good work!
If you ever feel like using again just look at that picture of your girls and remember its not worth it, youve come so far and have been doing good its just not worth it.

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

I'm glad you decided to post here. It helps me to see the process, which is what I think this blog is all about. My partner was just sharing last night about how all addicts, no matter how much clean time they have, are 1 day away from a relapse. My sponsor recently told me that I have to trust that if my partner relapses, then she has something to learn and that she will learn what she needs to. Sounds like you learned your something without actually getting and using the stuff. I'm glad for you. "Thanks for sharing" sounds pat sometimes, but I really am grateful that you shared.

Anonymous said...

Shit, Ej, when I allow myself to get that far into the process, I am going to use for sure. You definitely showed a courage not your own by turning that one around.
Thanks for posting it here, my friend.
Grateful you are clean.
Scout

Anonymous said...

This was no doing of my own. This was simply God (or whatever you wish to call her) stepping in and bitch slapping me. Please do not get the idea that I thought twice about this; I went with the intention of getting fuckin high, and sitting in my car and blasting some pink floyd as I drooled on myself and nodded out.

I left and the desire was removed. I don't know why or how, but it was no doing of my own.

Also make no mistake I am in a dangerous place right now, because the obsession is not completely gone, I have been thinking about it again today. I just haven't acted. Maybe I will, maybe I wont.

The saddest thing is I am worried that with the MMT, I am not going to really feel it like I want to, that and the fact that I have to muscle the shit, which sucks. Now there's some real fucking addict talk for you. I am more concerned with not getting the high I want, then staying clean. And I am so close to 90 days, which means nothing to me. Because it's about today. It's always been about today for me.

I am no pillar of strength, I don't have something more to learn, I have learned all the lessons I am going to learn in this life time. I am weak, I am in pain, I feel like I am drowning, and really, I am not on the road to drug free happiness, all I want to do is get high one more time.

That was for you JW, send me one of those shirts ASAP. "Just one more time." Which reminds me of a NA shirt I once saw saying "Spoons are for coffee." With a coffee cup with the NA logo on it.

Ah fuck. Please don't start posting "don't do" comments, or anything like that, I love you all dearly, but really, I am junkie, this is what a junkie without help does.

joy said...

I'm emailing you.

Much love.

Anonymous said...

that's why I said you showed a courage NOT YOUR OWN, Ej.
SOMEthing intervened for you.
I am here to tell you that you are NOT going to get high if you use -- take it from me. I tried every which way but Sunday and could never even feel it AT ALL unless I was under 40 mgs.
There you have the grim story.
Do something to help yourself, dude.
I care about you,
Scout

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

Putting it out here is a good thing, EJ. Do you have someone you can call??? I'll share my phone number with you if you email me, but I'm guessing that you'd be better off talking to another addict right now. Sorry you're going through such a hard, hard time.

My Name Here said...

Keep doing what you are doing. You know what will work for you. Trust your HP, no matter what. Listen to the voice, you will not go wrong with it.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

That's beautiful, Ej. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

NO! NO! NO! This is not beautiful, this is not some amazing story. THIS IS ME DROWNING! I hurt! It hurts so bad, and I am so lost that I think that using is my best possible solution. THIS IS Bad thing! There is nothing good here, nothing good in this post, nothing.

Patricia Marie said...

Fantastic.

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

What's good is the reaching out. Hard, but good. I'm sorry you're hurting, EJ. Again, is there someone you can call? An online meeting? Pain is temporary, though I know it doesn't feel that way when you're in the midst of it.

Anonymous said...

I made it one more day. Thanks to everyone! Especially to the one who talked me off the ledge. It didn't a call, it took someone who has been there, someone who was willing to step out on the ledge and help me back in, and I thank you for that.

One more day, and I think with some writing, some soul searching, some letting go of anger and pain that I can, turn one day, into the next, and the next. We will see. Right now, I feel at peace. Fucking addict nutjob, welcome to the life of an insane addict. I am the writing example of what JW and Mantra, and the others talk about, this is what I imagine they must deal with, when the addict becomes insane.